Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Hiking Year in Review

It's the last day of 2013, and as I look back on the year from a hiking perspective, it really wasn't a big hiking year. I simply didn't get out for the day trips I usually do. There are a number of reasons, but family busyness (especially taking care of my mom) just used up my vacation time and didn't allow for the spur-of-the-moment "hey, it's a nice fall day, I'll take the day off and run up to Hawk Mountain" day trips I've done so often in the past.

There was only one real highlight - the Maine trip - but it was a good one. Bar Harbor and Acadia National Park are famous vacation spots for good reason. The classic rocky coastline Maine scenery is beautiful, and I can easily imagine returning with family.

Baxter State Park is a hiker's paradise, and provided the hiking highlight of '13. My hike to Hamlin Peak was one of my all-time hikes. There were so many amazing vistas, and coming down Hamlin Ridge provided constant breathtaking scenery. I'm also not forgetting what a butt-kicking it gave me. It ranks among the hardest days I've ever done. But very much worth it.

Here's hoping that 2014 will be a better hiking year. Hopefully life will allow me to get  back to doing some spontaneous day hikes. Also hoping that things will work out with the boys for some day hikes, or even some overnighters.

Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment