Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Mt. Misery, VFNP, 1/29/12

This past Sunday I was in the Valley Forge area again, and had time for a short hike, so I decided to do the Horseshoe Trail climb of Mt. Misery, looping back along the Valley Creek Trail. I've done this hike before, and it's a great little loop.

I parked at the Washington's Headquarters parking lot, which leaves a little walk to the trailhead, but I'm not aware of any place closer where you can (legally) park. The temps were in the high 30's, but the sun was out and it felt warmer than that, so I went out in a long-sleeve polypro hiking shirt with a flannel shirt on top of that, cargo pants, my hiking gloves (thanks again, Eric!), and a baseball cap. Most people I passed were dressed significantly heavier than I was, but it worked just fine and I was plenty warm.

I made my way through the soldiers' cabins, crossed Rt. 23, and got to the trailhead. The yellow-blazed Horseshoe Trail starts here and makes its way west for something like 75 miles, where it joins the Appalachian Trail east of the Susquehanna River. The trail climbs steadily, following a stream, and passes the ruins of an old stone building that apparently used to be a root beer factory.

Getting to the top of the hill, the trail forks - the Horseshoe Trail goes to the right, and a connector trail that descends the mountain and picks up the Valley Creek Trail at the covered bridge goes to the left. I went right and followed the yellow blazes until leaves the National Park and hits a road in a residential neighborhood. Then I turned around and took the connector trail.

If I'd had more time, I would have gone all the way to the covered bridge and then came back along the stream. But I needed to get home, and there's a trail that makes a shorter loop, so I took it. Interestingly, I saw that the cut-off trail is named the Wolfinger Trail. I wonder if it's named for the Charles Wolfinger I used to know - great guy, Quaker, Haverford College alum, and Pennsylvania Railroad man. We've lost touch, and I wonder if he's still alive?

The cutoff trail descends rapidly to the stream, where the Valley Creek Trail follows the slow meandering stream. This is very scenic and pleasant, but it's a walk, not a hike - it's a popular wide gravel trail with lots of walkers, joggers, and dog walkers. I got back to the Horseshoe Trail trailhead, made my way back through Washington's Headquarters and back to my car.

The GPS says I covered 4.08 miles in 1:13. On the map at right, I parked at the top, then made a counterclockwise loop.

This is a fun little hike that I've done a few times before, and that I would gladly do again if I was in the area and had time for a short hike.

1 comment:

  1. Dave, this is a nice hike that I have done from the other side. There is a small parking lot south of Mt Misery. If you go south of your hike track on the road along the creek and cross to the west bank at the first opportunity (off your track map to the south) and continue along that road for a hundred yards or so, there is a parking lot on the north side of the road...

    ReplyDelete