Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Lyme Disease, Again

Lyme prevalence by state
It isn't confirmed yet, as the results of the blood test I took today aren't back, but it seems that I have Lyme disease again. I woke up Monday morning basically immobilized with fever and chills, and have spent the last two days flat on my back in bed.

I went to the doctor this morning and told her I've been hiking recently, and they ordered bloodwork - both to confirm Lyme, and to make sure there aren't any other infections going on. They also started me on a 30-day program of Doxycycline.

I say "again" in the title of this post because I think I had Lyme in June '08. I know the date because I wasn't able to attend Ryan's high school graduation. I was bedridden with fever and chills then, and though I never tested positive for Lyme, as soon as they started me on antibiotics, I felt better almost instantaneously. So I'm hoping to have the same result this time.

Thinking about where I could have picked this up, my Gettysburg hike a week ago Sunday seems the most likely culprit. But it could even have been my Honeymoon Isle hike three weeks ago.

Lyme is one nasty bug, and also quite serious - if untreated, it can have very serious long-term neurological effects. And the deer ticks that spread it are so small that they're practically invisible. I don't think I've ever seen a deer tick, though obviously I've been bitten. I have also never had the classic bulls-eye rash symptom, but maybe it's in a place that I wouldn't see it, like my back or above my hairline.

I'm a little disappointed in myself, and that having had Lyme, I should be more careful about protecting myself. Mainly, that means insect repellent with DEET, which I need to apply whenever I step off of asphalt. More ways to prevent it are here.

I don't want to stop hiking, and moving to a Lyme-free place isn't a realistic option in the near term (much as I love Arizona and Utah.) I just need to be more careful, and I resolve to be. This isn't fun, and I will do my best not to get this again.

No comments:

Post a Comment