Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Virtual Hiking

I recently saw an article online entitled "Hike a national park without leaving home." Reading the article, Nature Valley (the granola bar company) has created a website called Trail View that lets you virtually hike over 300 miles of trails in Grand Canyon, Great Smoky Mountains, and Yellowstone National Parks.

Of course I went straight to the virtual version of the hiking highlight of my life, the Grand Canyon's Hermit Trail. It's impressive technology, and it brought back a lot of memories from October '09 - but I was disappointed that only the first 1.3 miles of the trail are currently online. This was the least interesting portion of the hike - the steep descent off the rim. The spectacular views into the inner canyon didn't open up until mile 2 or 3.

Still, this is very impressive, and I'll spend some time looking at other trails they've virtualized.

No comments:

Post a Comment