Sunday, May 6, 2012

Marsh Creek State Park, 5/6/12

I have hiked less this Spring than in any Spring of recent memory. It's not lack of desire, it's just been a combination of things: family commitments, being sick (and feeling low-energy in the aftermath), and a number of rainy weekends. This morning looked like a good chance to get out, so I decided I'd go fairly early and get a morning hike in.

Not only have I missed hiking, but it's 6-7 weeks until the Adirondacks, and my legs are not currently in the shape they'll need to be in for the hikes we want to do there. So I think it's fairly imperative that I try to get out for a fairly strenuous hike once a week between now and then, if at all possible.

I didn't want to drive too far today, and would probably have gone to French Creek State Park, except for the forest fire I blogged about yesterday. After some consideration, I decided on Marsh Creek State Park. It's close, and I've done some little pieces of the lakeside trail on the west shore, but I've never done a big stretch of it as one hike - so that became the plan for today.

As a result of my recent bout with Lyme, I was careful to apply bug spray this morning before going out. That needs to become a habit, as Lyme is just nasty - and I've never actually seen a deer tick on me. So it's chemical warfare against the little bastards.

The morning was cool, gray, and a bit foggy. I drove through some misty rain on the way to the trail, but it didn't rain while I hiked. I started at the to left of the map at right, hiked counterclockwise around the dam, then retraced my steps, walking directly across the dam on the way back.

It felt wonderful to be out on a trail again. There was birdsong in my ears the whole time, and the smell of honeysuckle was just about overpowering at times. At one point, a pair of goldfinches flew right in front of me (reminding me that I need to get my goldfinch feeder set up.) I passed a few hikers and dog-walkers, and a few mountain bikers, but I had a lot of solitude, which felt great. The lake was usually in view, and sometimes just feet away from the trail.

I could feel some twinges in my hips when I got back to the car, which is a sign that I'm out of practice. But this was an excellent start to the hiking season, and also a good start on getting my legs into hiking shape for the Adirondacks.

Distance: 7.55 miles
Elapsed Time: 2:24

No comments:

Post a Comment