Monday, May 21, 2012

VA Getaway Day 2: A.T. to Weverton Cliffs

It wasn't even 9am when I completed my Compton Peak hike. But even though the actual hiking wasn't hurting my back, just about everything else was - tying my shoes was extremely difficult, getting in and out of the car was very unpleasant, and driving didn't seem to agree with me. So starting toward home seemed like the best thing, and that's what I did. I drove north, out of the park, and continuing on Rt. 340 (Stonewall Jackson Memorial Highway) toward Harpers Ferry, WV, where I had another short hike in mind.

A few years ago, I did a day-hike on the Appalachian Trail heading north from Harpers Ferry, and I discovered the Weverton Cliffs overlook on that hike. When it leaves Harpers Ferry, the  A.T. follows the C&O canal path along the Potomac River for a few miles, then it leaves the river and makes a steep climb to the ridgeline of South Mountain. When it gains the ridge, there's a short blue-blazed side trail to the Weverton Cliffs overlook - a rocky point that looks just about straight down on the Potomac.

I drove through Charles Town and then Harpers Ferry, crossing the bridge into Maryland, then I exited Rt. 340 to a parking lot near where the A.T. leaves the river and the canal path and starts into the woods.

The parking lot was almost full, which wasn't a surprise on a gorgeous Spring Saturday. I started hiking just about 11am, and the day was sunny, beautiful, and getting warm. The trail passes under 340, and I passed other hikers at intervals. The trail skirts another parking lot, and then it starts to climb steeply, with one switchback following another.

There were plenty of other hikers, and many who were not in the best shape and were standing at the side of the trail trying to catch their breath. My first thought about these folks is not charitable, but my second thought is - at least they're outside on a nice day and not on the couch watching television. There was a sign at one point warning of the poisonous snakes that are around (timber rattlesnakes and copperheads), and I wondered if the parents letting their little kids run around had read the sign? (I saw some snake skins, but no snakes.)

I was going slowly and gingerly, and as a result I made the ridgeline without being overly winded. I often end up winded on big climbs, and I'm pretty sure it's because I try to set an overly-aggressive pace. John taught me a lesson on climbing pace the day we hiked out of Grand Canyon - and while I haven't forgotten it, I also don't always put it into practice. I need to be forced to slow down - someone setting a good slower pace is one way - being forced to slow down by a sore back is another.

As the grade leveled out on the ridgeline, there was an immediate fork - the white-blazed A.T. going left, the blue-blazed trial to the Cliffs to the right. It was a scene out of my hiking nightmare - church groups, scouting groups, families with kids, picnickers. Oh the noise noise noise noise. But the view was still worth it.

I asked a young lady to take my picture, then I re-traced my steps to the car. This was an enjoyable bite-sized morsel of an A.T. hike, and I highly recommend it as such, or as part of a bigger hike.

Distance: 2.75 miles
Elapsed Time: 1:20

No comments:

Post a Comment