Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Maine: Final Prep

One day to go before departure, and excitement is running high. I'm still going (*frantically knocks wood*), having promised everyone that I will be smart and do the right thing. (I think I'm always smart and do the right thing...but every female who shares my last name has doubts.)

I'm packed, and I'm kinda shocked at the bulk of stuff I'm taking. I have one big duffel bag that's completely stuffed, a small duffel (also stuffed) as my carry-on, and my day pack for incidentals. I don't think I've grossly over-packed - the big duffel has my tent (which Eric and I will share) and sleeping bag, which are bulky. I've also packed clothes for all temperatures - days could be warm, but the nights will probably be down in the 40's, and we have to be prepared for rain. So that's a lot of layers, and the fleece and rain gear is bulky. We're planning on a quick laundromat stop on the transfer day between Acadia and Baxter, so I'm really packing for 4 days instead of 7.

One thing I am bringing, after assuming I wasn't bringing it, is my travel guitar. It never occurred to me that it was possible, but Darling Wife said (after listening to me lament), "Why can't you bring it? I see people with guitars in airports all the time." A light went on. Of course she's right. A quick check of the US Airways baggage rules (under special items) shows that a guitar case is just another checked bag. The "special items" page made me chuckle at some of the things people fly with: not just golf clubs and ski equipment, but surfboards, fishing tackle, and get this - antlers! It's nice to know that if I bag a moose, US Airways will let me bring the rack home.

Something that bothered all of us on the Dakotas trip was the "buy and leave" items - camp chairs and coolers mainly. Stuff that was so cheap and so bulky that we bought it there and left it next to the hotel dumpster before flying home. That kind of waste offended all of us, but there didn't seem a better option. Well, a better option occurred to me - "buy and donate." It still makes no sense to pay to carry a $10 camp chair on a plane. But a quick Google search shows two Goodwill centers in Bangor. We can buy camp chairs and coolers there, and donate them Tuesday before flying home. Problem solved.

Specific hikes and trails will be determined when we get there. Eric has done some research on Acadia trails. I think Cadillac Mountain will probably be a must-do (and *not* a long, steep, or strenuous climb.) Beyond that, there will be plenty of short trails to coastline vistas. Baxter is more of an unknown. I have the National Geographic topographic trails map of the park, and there are many possible options. We'll talk to the rangers when we get there and decide what to do.

Here's a slide show of Acadia N.P. scenes.

I'll post trip reports when I return.

No comments:

Post a Comment