Wednesday, September 4, 2013

My Northernmost Point

Warning: random and pointless trivia from a map and geography geek to follow.

The thought occurred to me that this trip to Maine might take me further north than I've ever been. The other possibility seemed to be my 7th grade band and orchestra trip to Ottawa, Canada. Well, Google makes it so easy to find out random and pointless trivia that I was able to find:
  • Mt. Katahdin: 45.9044 degrees north latitude
  • Ottawa: 45.4214
So yes, we will be going north of Ottawa.

But then I did some thinking and a little more Googling, and discovered that I've been significantly further north, and without crossing a border. In the fall of '10, my aikido friends and I did a trip to Seattle over a long weekend. They flew home Sunday morning, but I stayed until Monday, as I had a free flight on Southwest, and for some reason couldn't use it on Sunday. So I dropped them at the airport, kept the rental car, and drove out the Olympic Peninsula for the day (trip report here).

Reading my trip report and looking at a map, my northernmost point that day was at Pillar Point on the Strait of Juan de Fuca. Consulting Google, it wins by a large margin:
  • Pillar Point, WA: 48.2167
Yeah, the things that keep a geography geek amused. :-)

2 comments:

  1. For the record, you were in Watford City ND on the Dakotas trip in 2011, which is at 47.8025, thus further north than both Ottawa and where we will be in Maine. Washington state does still trump that...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I only point this out because I had done the same exercise (scary), and already determined that Maine will NOT trump my northernmost US point. I had thought that it might. My northernmost point worldwide turns out to have been Berlin Germany (West Berlin at that time) in the summer of 1985. There are a whole host of points in Europe that I have been to that are more northerly than US high points.

    ReplyDelete