Saturday, May 2, 2015

SNP: Camp Night 1

(Continued from here)

3:16pm
Entering Skyline Drive (riding in Eric's car, with John and Ted following in Ted's car.) The sun is actually out, and the views are fantastic. We'll go up the drive about 20 miles to Big Meadows campground.

4:55pm
We're here and have checked in, picked a site, and set up camp. The sun we saw on entering the park didn't last long, and it's gotten progressively grayer, windier, and colder. We have the two tents set up - my tent for me and Eric, John's tent to share with Ted. The bathroom is close by, which has toilets and sinks (with hot water!), but no showers. There are showers up by the ranger station, but it's too much trouble to walk up there now. I've washed up and changed in the bathroom, and that's good enough.

I already have a couple of layers on, and I'm wondering if I've brought enough layers. An evening in the low 40's with rain and wind will feel very cold.

5:12pm
We've set up Phil's canopy (i.e., "the party tent"), and I expect it to blow away any second. It's a big heavy thing, and we have it staked into wet ground with four little tent stakes. If a gust of wind gets under it, those stakes will never hold. But so far it is, and we're keeping an eye on it.

6:35pm
The evening continues to get colder and windier, and rain seems imminent. To no one's surprise, the party tent met a spectacular demise. A big gust of wind pulled it out of the ground and took it for a ride. It crash-landed a short distance away, and is broken beyond repair. There goes our shelter on what looks like it's going to be a rainy night. General merriment over the flight of the canopy, and what we'll say to Phil when we get back.

Eric prepared two meals: steaks to cook over the grill, and a chili which he pre-made and froze, to be thawed and cooked on his portable camp stove. The original plan was to cook the steaks tonight, but it's so windy that a good campfire isn't looking possible. Another possibility is driving 10 miles back to Skyland, where we could get dinner in the restaurant and drinks in the bar. But that's crazy talk - we'll stay here and suffer like real men.

8:10pm
It's cold, very windy, damp...and cold. I have all my layers on and can't keep warm. Part of the problem is that when packing, I went back and forth on whether to bring rain pants. I had them packed, and then thought "nah, I won't wear them." Not too smart. I'm wearing jeans, which are now damp and just making me colder. The bathroom is very well heated, and there's joking about spending the night in there.

Eric managed to cook his chili on the camp stove, and it was delicious (as always.) We're sitting around the (fireless) fire pit, talking and trying to keep warm. Bed will be soon - and sooner if the rain starts in earnest, as we have no where else to go but our tents.

8:45pm
Bedtime. The wind has never let up, and it's now raining hard. What a miserable evening. This isn't a surprise - rain was in the forecast. But it feels colder than it was supposed to be. Oh well. I've cursed myself all night for not packing my rain pants. Oh well.

I should be warm enough once I get in my sleeping bag. I can get out of these damp jeans, into a dry layer of long johns, heavy socks, wool cap (Canada Hockey), and I'll be fine. At least that's the hope.

Nite nite.

(Continued here)

No comments:

Post a Comment