Saturday, June 30, 2012

Adirondacks '12: Day 4

"Lazy Day, Big Meals, Phil's Birthday"

Trip report in diary format. Brother Eric's account of the day is here and here:

7:45am
I've been up for maybe 20 minutes. I slept great, though it got cold in the night. I started out in just the bag liner, but woke up in the night and got inside the sleeping bag. I was awake sometime shortly after 6am, but I was so warm and comfy that I laid there for a while, listening to the birds and the early morning sounds of a campground. John, Ted, and Phil were up very early, and are preparing a breakfast feast.

The campground looks completely full, and there are Quebec license plates and French language conversations on all sides of us.

9:36am
We've been reminded that it's Phil's birthday, and we've wished him a happy day. He's let it be known that he's not a "birthday" guy - thus ensuring that we continue to make a big fuss over it for the rest of the day.

We've just finished a breakfast feast fit for a king: eggs, bacon, sausage, toast, yogurt, and a mix of potatoes, peppers, and onions. It's a beautiful sunny morning, though the forecast calls for a 30% chance of rain. I feel surprisingly good after yesterday's hike - just a tiny bit stiff.

2:55pm
We spent a lazy morning around camp: reading, chatting, playing guitar. Eric and Phil talked about driving into the town of Lake Placid to walk around and have lunch. Then the sky darkened and rain looked imminent, so we all decided to come along. As we got into the town, it started pouring rain, so we found a nice little pub, ordered some beer and wings, and settled in.

Phil liked the design on his beer glass and asked the waiter if they sold them. "Just put it in your pocket", he was told. This made us laugh, as we used to do exactly that, only without being invited by the waiter. Later, the waiter brought Phil one of the glasses in a carryout bag, which we dubbed his birthday present.

Now we're back at camp and it's still raining lightly - though it's hardly noticeable under the cover of trees at our campsite.

4:04pm
I'm back from...not exactly a hike...more a walk around the campground. I needed to stretch my legs after two big meals, and a third to come. The map showed a trail around the circumference of Heart Lake, and I found it. I went out in my rain jacket, but the rain stopped about as soon as I started, so I carried it the rest of the way. It seems to be clearing up, and there are patches of blue again.

6:13pm
The sun is out again, and the guys are cooking dinner over the campfire. Phil is doing big steaks with the works (veggies, corn on the cob, and garlic bread.)

Sacre bleu...our next-door Quebecians seem to be trying to smoke us out - they're trying to burn wet or green wood, and the breeze is bringing their smoke into our camp. French-accented curses fly....

We're talking about plans for tomorrow: I have a strong desire to hike to the summit of Algonquin Peak. I feel good and I want to give it a try. It will be a challenge - it's the second-highest point in New York State, just shy of Marcy, but the trail to the peak is two miles shorter - which means it's much steeper. John and Ted attempted Algonquin four years ago, and got close to the top before being told by a ranger that the trail was closed because of approaching thunderstorms.

No one's interested in joining me, which is fine, I'm happy to hike by myself. They're planning to hike to the summit of Mt. Jo, then hike back to Rocky Falls for a picnic and a swim.

7:38pm
We just finished a steak and veggie feast. Phil and Eric out-did themselves. That's three very big and very excellent meals today. It's a gorgeous evening - sunshine and blue sky. There are plenty of leftovers, and there will be steak for breakfast - not for me though, my tentative plan is to be up and out at first light, so I'm preparing everything I can now.  I want to wake up, dress, and go.

8:51pm
We have a roaring campfire going. Is there any better way to spend an evening than sitting around the campfire with good company? It's still a gorgeous evening, and the daylight is just starting to fade.

9:49pm
Heart Lake just after sunset
Guitar by the campfire. I've played everything I can think of, and the guys want more. I need to learn more songs before the next trip.

I just walked out into the clearing to see if there are stars, and there aren't - there's still a last remnant of daylight.

10:33pm
I walked out into the clearing one last time, and now the last daylight is gone, and there are a million stars out. It's not quite the sky we saw in the Dakotas, but it's pretty close. Someone saw a shooting star (Eric, I think).

Nite nite.

No comments:

Post a Comment