Saturday, June 16, 2012

Mt. Misery, VFNP, 6/3/12

I recently spent another Sunday morning in the Valley Forge area (if I told you why, I'd have to kill you, so let's avoid that question!) With my work done, and a beautiful sunny day beckoning, I decided to pop in to the National Park for a short hike.

I parked in the big lot on Rt. 252, then discovered that there's no good way to get to the covered bridge and the Valley Creek Trail. You have to walk on the very narrow shoulder of 252 for maybe a quarter mile, and passing cars are *very* close.

I crossed the covered bridge, then followed the Valley Creek Trail along the stream for maybe a half mile. I saw the Wolfinger Trail on the left, and took it, climbing steeply our of the creek bottom. When I reached the top, I followed it to the junction of the yellow-blazed Horseshoe Trail, then turned around.

Coming back, I took a trail I had never taken before, just to see where it went. I figured it had to come out somewhere near the covered bridge. It descended more gradually, and finally dropped me into a parking lot (that I wasn't aware existed) on Yellow Springs Rd., not far from the covered bridge.

I had a short trek on the road to the covered bridge, then re-traced my steps back to the parking lot.

This was short hike, but a very nice way to stretch the legs on a beautiful sunny day.

Distance: 2.34 miles
Elapsed Time: 44 minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment