Friday, August 1, 2014

WV Weekend: Sunday

Note: Brother Eric's trip reports for the day are here, here, and here. My trip report will likely be very similar, though briefer, as six weeks have now passed. But I enjoy writing it up, so here goes.

8:05am
I'm up after a very good night's sleep. We thought we'd be up and going early, as most of us (basically everyone except Eric, I think it's safe to say) are naturally early risers. I was stunned to hear voices and find out it was almost 8:00. That's not a problem - we'll have ample daylight for the hike we have planned - it's just unexpected.

9:25am
We're getting ready for our hike - eating breakfast (Pop-tarts and coffee, yum), making sandwiches and packing our daypacks, and dressing for our hike. Today's plan is a short drive (30-40 min) to the Dolly Sods Wilderness area, where we'll park and do about a 10-mile hike. While I haven't researched the area in depth, I voted strongly for a Dolly Sods hike when we were planning the trip and saw we'd be near. I just know it by reputation - I've heard many people talk online about what a fantastic place it is to hike.

It's a beautiful bright sunny day and I'm feeling good. This really is an amazing campsite. The view of Seneca Rocks dominates the scene - and it's subtly different in every light. My gaze is continually drawn to it.

10:35am
Trail-head, Bear Rocks Trail, Dolly Sods Wilderness. Getting here was more of an adventure then we'd anticipated. The directions in Eric's guide book were just plain wrong.We figured it out, but it cost us some extra driving. The last few miles were hard uphill on a horribly rutted dirt and gravel. I think we'll all need a visit to the chiropractor after being bounced around like that.

The guide book describes this trail as a "vistapalooza", with not too much strenuous up and down. Sounds good to me.

12:33pm
We've found a boulder field where we can stop for lunch. It's been a great hike so far - some rolling ups and downs, but nothing too extreme (as advertised.) Sometimes we've been walking through woods, but more often we've been walking through mountain meadows with long views across the wilderness area. I'm so used to our hikes being in the woods that I didn't sunscreen this morning - and I don't think anyone did. I didn't think of it then - but I'm thinking of it now, when I can't do anything about it. The sun is directly on us, and the day has been getting hotter. Oh well.

Here, as at home, there's been a lot of rain in the past week, and sections of the trail have been sloppy - muddy with the occasional big puddle.

As we were approaching the boulder field, a group of Boy Scouts were leaving. They're on a multi-day backpacking trip, and seem to be in good spirits.

1:05pm
Lunch is over and we're ready to hike again. When we arrived at the boulders, I took off my shoes, socks, and shirt and laid them out in the sun to dry. I tore into my first ham and cheese sandwich. Then, unbelievably, we heard the new message "ding" from someone's cell phone. We've been completely offline (no cell or internet service) since yesterday morning, and I've had my phone in airplane mode - that way I could still use it as a camera without burning battery as it tried in vain to look for service.

But amazing, here in the Dolly Sods, we suddenly have service. Eric speculates that we're now at the furthest section of our hike, near the boundary of the wilderness area. There must be a cell tower in range. Whatever the case, we all have cell service for the first time in a day and a half, and it's a comical (or somewhat absurd) sight to see everyone go for their phones, checking messages, e-mails, and Facebook. My priorities were, 1) make sure there were no emergency messages from home (there weren't), 2) read and respond to very sweet Father's Day notes from two very sweet girls, and 3) post a pic to FB for wife and girls.

3:12pm
We're now following a stream, and the trail has become a mucky mess - we're basically walking through a swamp. It's a low boggy area to begin with, and the week's rains have saturated the ground. We're trying to pick our way from rock to rock and dry spot to dry spot, but there's no way to avoid getting muddy and wet. It's very slow going. Every so often you hear a groan from someone who misjudged a step and sank up to their ankle in muck. I took a false step and sank up to my calf. As my foot kept sinking, I thought for a brief moment that the bog was going to swallow me whole. I've reached the point where I'm not even looking for dry spots to step any more. My feet can't get any wetter or any muddier, so I'm just slopping through the muck. Blech.

The sun has become very hot and intense. I'm wearing my baseball cap and have my bandana tied around my neck for sun protection. The guys' faces, ears, and necks are all bright red - and I'm undoubtedly the same. I'm low on water and Gatorade, as I've been trying to drink a lot and stay hydrated on such a hot and sunny day. There are only a few miles to go, so I'm fine - but I'll admit I'm at the point where I'm ready for the hike to end.

4:10pm
Back at the car, thank goodness. The day isn't blistering hot, but the sun is just unrelenting, and our hike was mostly out in the open. We're all sunburned and are currently re-hydrating. Eric's GPS says we hiked 11.3 miles, and it took about 5.5 hours.

6:35pm
Relaxing at camp. The drive back to camp was uneventful, and we had the car's AC blasting. There's a general store just outside the campground, and we stopped there for ice and a few supplies. When we got back we showered and changed into clean clothes, and kicked back with a beer. As we did yesterday, we're doing the makeshift iPhone speaker (putting it in a bowl - it works surprisingly well.) We're taking turns picking songs. I've been playing my guitar some.

Eric has prepared us a feast. He pre-made Cincinnati chili and brought it here frozen. He cooked it up, and we're now eating it with a salad and wine. This is unimagined luxury. All food tastes better at a campsite - and really good food like this? Just wow.

10:05pm
I'm hitting the sack. It's been a good and tiring day. The hike was a good one with gorgeous views. We're sunburned, but not horribly. My legs are a little sore, but nothing serious. I feel good.

We spent the rest of the evening sitting around the campfire, listening to music, and talking. There's nothing like being at a campsite with good friends. Nite nite.

No comments:

Post a Comment