Sunday, August 10, 2014

WV Weekend: Wrap-up

Note: Brother Eric's recap is here. This post will likely echo many of his thoughts.

Overall
This was a fantastic weekend. We had two and a half days outdoors, the scenery was gorgeous, the weather was perfect, all the hikes were good, the campground and campsite were exceptional, and the camaraderie (as always) couldn't be beat. And most importantly for me right now, all of this cost me just one personal day from work.

The Hikes
All the hikes were good. Spruce Knob was notable for being the high point of WV, and now that we've checked it off, there's no reason to return. The Huckleberry Trail was good - not breath-taking - but a very nice ridgeline trail. The Dolly Sods *was* breath-taking, and I would gladly return there. There's a while network of trails over a very large area, and we haven't scratched the surface of what it was to offer. Seneca Rocks was a lovely little morning diversion.

The Campsite
As Eric and I both noted, our campsite was unparalleled. Yes, it was excessive to have a group campsite for the four of us, but the open space and solitude it gave us were very nice. The direct view of Seneca Rocks was just amazing. Our eyes were continually drawn there, and it looked subtly different in every light, and at different times of day. Obviously, it was more expensive than a normal campsite, but it as well worth it. I would definitely return to Seneca Shadows campground, and would insist on the same site.

My Gear
I can honestly say I need nothing. I love the gear I have, and there's nothing I'm lacking for hiking and camping. I don't even look at the ads I get from REI, Campmor and EMS. They have lovely stuff, but there's nothing that remotely tempts me. In hindsight, there was no reason for me not to bring two tents, so Eric and I could each have our own. Mine is big enough for both of us, but I sometimes worry that my tossing and turning keeps him awake.

I did forget to pack three items, which I'm noting here as reminder to myself for next time:
  1. A pillow. I slept on two rolled-up t-shirts. I don't know how I didn't bring my beanbag travel pillow - but the t-shirts did the job.
  2. A towel. This wasn't a surprise - I *always* forget to bring a towel, and end up drying myself with whatever I can manage. Somehow this just doesn't enter my thoughts when thinking through what I'll need.
  3. A headlamp. These are *so* handy for a getting around a campsite after dark. I had one, but I seem to have lost it. I've been holding off buying another one, as I think it has to be in my house and I'll find it - but it's not turning up, so I'll have to get another one.
Rental Car
As Eric and I have both mentioned, we screwed up badly by trying to save a few dollars by renting an SUV instead of a minivan. Camping = minivan, period. Our error was thinking that only two nights camping meant we needed less space. We realize now that if we're camping for one night, that means we're bringing our camping gear, and there's the same amount of stuff whether it's for one night or two weeks. Everything worked out, but it's a lesson learned.

Final Thoughts
Another fun and successful trip. It was a great time with great friends. And I think it sets a blueprint for the kinds of trips we can try to do fairly frequently (meaning more than just once a year.) Leaving Friday night after work, having all day Saturday, all day Sunday,and part of Monday for hiking and camping - getting home Monday night and only requiring one vacation day.

No comments:

Post a Comment