Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Lost in the Mokelumne Wilderness

I saw the following article today:


I'm always interested to read stories like this - the details of how they get into a bad situation, what they do, and how they get rescued. In this case, a fisherman went looking for grasshoppers as bait, wandered further and further from his camp, then realized he was lost and couldn't find his way back to his camp.

I'm not so cocky as to say I couldn't get lost. I'm sure I could - though I do think I have a pretty good sense of direction. (There was the time a number of years ago that I discovered I was hiking 180 degrees in the wrong direction - but that's a tale for another day. :-))

Stories like this always bring me back to a really good book that I reviewed a few years ago - 98.6 Degrees (The Art of Keeping Your Ass Alive!) by Cody Lundin. My review is here. The book isn't about wilderness living, it's about how to survive a wilderness misadventure and keep yourself alive while you're waiting to be rescued. Highly recommended.

Which reminds me, I should review the survival kit I put together three years ago after reading that book.


No comments:

Post a Comment