Tuesday, September 30, 2014

A Sassafras Rock

A quick postscript to my hike Saturday in the Sassafras NRMA. Darling Wife was doing laundry on Sunday night, and the dryer started making a loud banging sound. She evened out the load, started it again...and the loud banging continued. I went to take a look, and spotted the problem - there was a large rock loose in the dryer...and I knew where it came from.

On the Lloyd Creek part of my hike, when the trail came down to the beach, it was full of what my dad called "Maryland gravel" - sand mixed with small round pebbles that have been polished smooth by the sand. I saw a small white disc-shaped rock, liked the look of it, and put it in my pocket. And then forgot about it until I saw it bouncing around the dryer.

I told Darling Wife that I'd found the problem, explained about the stone, and showed it to her. She was touched that, at an age where some men have grown hopelessly cynical, I've retained my boyish sense of wonder.

At least that's my interpretation of what she was thinking. The actual conversation went something like this:
DW: A stone in the dryer? That you picked up on your hike?

Me: Yes.

DW: You saw a stone, picked it up, and put it in your pocket?

Me: Ummm, yes.

DW: (shaking her head) What are you, five years old?!?

No comments:

Post a Comment