Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Hiker Killed by Black Bear

Black bears are numerous in many places I hike. The first time I saw a bear in the wild was on the Appalachian Trail very near Hawk Mountain. I've seen another one near there, and I've also seen bears in the Shenandoah, and in the Great Smokies. Each sighting was memorable and thrilling - a genuine thrill to be sharing the woods with such big and beautiful creatures.

Darling Wife's reaction to talk of bears is alarm, and I assure her time and time again that black bears are timid and want no part of confrontation with humans. And that's my experience - I've been aware of the presence of a bear when I hear the noise of the bear running away from me. Of course you have to be smart with food and food smells - if you leave food out, you're likely to attract a bear who's following his nose.

Bottom line, I'm not afraid of black bears. I'm careful and respectful, but not afraid. Now out west, in grizzly country, is a completely different story. They can be extremely dangerous. But black bears are not grizzlies.

Then Darling Wife presented me with the story of a New Jersey hiker who was killed by a black bear. I thought there must be a mistake, but it's true. CNN story is here. Five friends went hiking, saw a bear, and scattered. When they re-formed later, one was missing, and was later found dead.

I'm wondering if he ran from the bear - which seems like the wrong thing to do in any wildlife encounter. First, you're never going to out-run or out-climb a bear. And second, running away will make you look like prey and will trigger a hunting instinct. Though bears are more foragers and scavengers than hunters.

This is sobering news. But it also doesn't change my attitude toward black bears, and won't change my hiking/camping behavior. They're not killers. Be smart, be respectful.

1 comment:

  1. I read this story as well, and saw a video clip from a New Jersey local TV report. From what I saw, the five came across a black bear that didn't run away, but began to come toward them instead. They got scared, started to back away, and then ran off in different directions. One didn't make it. I've always told Amp the same thing "I want to see a bear." I never have, and I still do. But...

    ReplyDelete